2018 Mercedes-Benz X-Class puts some fancy trim on your cowboy boots 2020 Volvo XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered first drive: Almost Super Trouper Enlarge ImageGood night, sweet prince, we hardly knew ye. Mercedes-Benz If you live in the US and don’t pay particularly close attention to car and truck models that aren’t sold here, you could easily be forgiven for not knowing that Mercedes-Benz makes a pickup truck. It’s called the X-Class, and it’s actually pretty cool.Unfortunately, it may not be long for this world if a report published Tuesday by Automotive News Europe is to be believed. The reason for the possible demise of the X-Class is the current worldwide sales slump for new vehicles. The X-Class, being kind of a niche product — and a badge-engineered one at that — is an easy target for cost savings. Yep, we said badge-engineered. The X-Class is based on a Nissan pickup (that we also don’t get in the US) called the Navara. Obviously, Mercedes being what it is, it changes a ton of stuff, so it’s not quite as bad as say, Volkswagen rebadging a Grand Caravan as the Routan.In any case, the X-Class (which has been around since 2017) hasn’t exactly been flying off of dealer lots. Automotive News Europe pegs the global sales for the model at just 16,700 units. By comparison, Mercedes shifted around 15,000 S-Class models in 2018 in the US alone.When you consider that the S-Class costs more than twice as much as an X-Class (based on German market prices) and sedan sales are in the proverbial terlet here, the model’s discontinuation starts to make some real sense.Now, we’ll shed no tears for the X-Class if and when it goes away, but we do like the idea of a Mercedes pickup. We just need to convince the folks back in Stuttgart to do some really wild stuff like make a Jeep Gladiatoresque version of the G-wagen and sell it in America. 0 Share your voice 48 Photos Mercedes-Benz Nissan 2019 Nissan Pathfinder Rock Creek Edition first drive: Its roots are showing Tags 2020 Kia Soul review: Well-rounded box 8:42 Now playing: Watch this: Trucks Car Industry Post a comment 2019 Mercedes-AMG GT53 4-door: A fancy-pants muscle car Mercedes-Benz More From Roadshow
The Department of Telecom has rejected CAG’s allegations that it extended undue favours towards Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Industries Limited and its subsidiary Infotel, which resulted in a loss of over ₹20, 000 crore to the government.The telecom department responded in a 37 page report to Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) regarding the issue.It said that CAG has challenged the decision-making powers of the government and the wisdom and the decision of the authorities of the time is also being questioned, reported Mint.DoT has now recommended that “draft audit paras may be dropped and matter closed.”CAG had earlier alleged that the government had failed to notice signs of rigging when auction of high speed internet spectrum was held in 2010. During the process, Infotel is said to have paid 5000 times its ₹2.5 crore net worth to grab spectrum across the nation.Infotel paid ₹12, 847.77 crore after giving ₹252.50 crore as earnest money to get 20 megahertz (MHz) of spectrum in 22 circles across India. After the auction, it sold its 95 percent stake to RIL for ₹4800 crore.”This was an auction that was open to bidders across the world. Why would they collude to allow a competitor to gain? You can’t collude when interests are different,” said Mahesh Uppal, a telecom regulatory expert with Com First India Private Limited.Moreover, CAG accused the DoT of extending favours to Reliance Jio Infocomm Limited by permitting it to offer voice services, using the internet service provider licence.”From the beginning of the auction itself, it was clear that a successful bidder, with an Internet service provider licence, could offer voice services by acquiring the requisite licence,” he added.Supporting DoT, Ravi Shankar Prasad, Communication and law minister said: “Our policy on spectrum sharing, trading and allocation is transparent.”In a previous report, CAG said DoT’s share of 2G spectrum (1800 MHz band) in 2008 caused a loss of ₹1.76 trillion.The government collected bids worth ₹1.07 trillion in that auction, involving more than ₹32, 000 crore from 3G spectrum sold during auction. The DoT said the firms successful in the auction were permitted to issue fresh equity.The department of telecom is likely to start the next auction of 2G and 3G spectrum bands from February 2015.
Share Wednesday, October 24, 2018Top afternoon stories:Lawsuit against Waller County over alleged voter suppressionStudents at Prairie View A&M University have filed a federal lawsuit alleging Waller County is suppressing the voting rights of its black residents.The NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund filed the lawsuit in Houston on Monday on behalf of a group of five students. The lawsuit argues the county is violating the Voting Rights Act and the U.S. Constitution by not providing early voting locations on campus or in the city of Prairie View during the first week of early voting, which began on Monday. “The plaintiffs at Prairie View A&M, which is a predominately black school, are alleging that the county is not providing the same access to early voting on campus as it is in other parts of the county which are predominately white,” Teddy Rave, George Butler Research Professor at the University of Houston Law Center, told Houston Matters.During the second week of early voting, Waller County will have polls open Monday through Friday in Prairie View at two different locations. But one of the locations is off-campus and not easily accessible to students, according to the lawsuit.Rave told Houston Matters that for this particular case the strongest claim is the violation of the Voting Rights Act.When Houston Matters contacted Waller County District Attorney Elton Mathis’s office, they directed us to a statement on their Facebook page from yesterday:Evan Vucci/APHillary Clinton and Barack Obama.“Suspicious packages” mailed to Clinton, Obama and CNNAt least five suspicious packages containing what the FBI called potentially destructive devices have been sent since Monday to several leading Democratic Party figures and to CNN in New York, triggering a massive investigation.Some of the devices “appear to be pipe bombs,” John Miller, New York Police Department deputy commissioner of intelligence and counterterrorism, said at a news conference Wednesday.“The packages are similar in appearance,” the FBI stated, “and contain potentially destructive devices.”They were addressed to George Soros, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, former President Barack Obama, former CIA Director John Brennan (care of CNN) and former Attorney General Eric Holder. All bore the return address of the office of U.S. Rep. and former Democratic National Committee Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz.The packages were in manila envelopes with bubble-wrap interior, and the FBI says it is “possible that additional packages were mailed to other locations.”Southeast Texas Regional Advisory CouncilCaptain Amy Taylor, with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.Symposium analyzes recent emergency situations in TexasOfficials with the Harris County Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Management are participating this week in a symposium on health care preparedness that will analyze emergency situations that have impacted Texas, such as Hurricane Harvey and the shooting at Santa Fe High School.The Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) and the Southeast Texas Regional Advisory Council (SETRAC) are hosting the three-day symposium, which started Wednesday and is taking place at the Galveston Island Convention Center.More than 400 health care professionals, first-responders, emergency managers and government officials will attend the three-day event, which will focus on experiences and lessons learned from recent natural disasters and mass casualty incidents.Besides Harvey and the Santa Fe shooting, Hurricane Maria and the Las Vegas shooting, as well as the Washington, D.C. Amtrak derailment, the Thailand cave rescue and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), will be other topics discussed and analyzed at the event.
Darjeeling: The Joint Forum of Trade Unions of West Bengal announced a series of agitation programmes, in demand of the implementation of minimum wages in the tea industry of the state.A meeting of the Joint Forum resolved that on June 27 and 28, memorandums will be given to District Magistrates, Superintendent of Police and GTA chairman, with the demand of implementation of minimum wages in the tea gardens.One June 24, the Joint Forum will hold a public meeting at Mirik, to address various issues including minimum wages, land documents for tea garden workers and the Margaret’s Hope incident of June 25, 1955, which is commemorated as martyr’s day. Also Read – Heavy rain hits traffic, flightsIncidentally on June 25, 1955, ajoint movement had been called by the trade unions of All India GorkhaLeague and undivided CPI at Margaret’s Hope Tea Garden, 24 km from Darjeeling.On that day, workers had assembled in Margaret’s Hope Tea Garden, to submit a 14 point charter of demands.A scuffle had taken place between the management and the workers and in the police firing that ensued, 6 people died and many were injured.The ones who were killed were Amrit Maya Kamini (18), Moulik Sobha Raini (23), Kancha Sunwar (22), Padam Bahadur Kami (25), Jitman Tamang (45) and Kaley Limbu (14). Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Merc, 2 B’deshi bystanders killed”On June 25, martyr’s day will be observed by all tea garden workers in Darjeeling, Terai and Dooars, before work in the garden commences,” stated Zia Ul Alam, convenor.On July 2, 3, 4 and 5, gate meetings and demonstrations will be held in front of all the 87 tea gardens in the Hills.”We feel that the government will pay heed to our just demand and implement minimum wages at the earliest. If the above programme fails to yield the desired results, then we will chalk out our future course of action. We appeal for support from one and all for our cause. Our agitation will be peaceful and democratic,” stated Alam.At present, workers are getting a daily wage of Rs 160. In 2015, a tripartite agreement was signed between operating trade unions, management of gardens and the state government, stating that minimum wages would be implemented. Recently, Rs 17.50 was given as interim hike to the daily wages.
Kolkata: The state Education department on Monday clipped the wings of the District Inspectors (DI) of schools when it comes to teacher recruitment and directed them to inform the district magistrate and the Education department about the resolution of the managing committee, before taking any decision on the same.The decision was taken at a meeting with the DIs of schools across the state that was chaired by state Education minister Partha Chatterjee, secretary of School Education Manish Jain and senior officials of the department. All the DIs of the state, except Darjeeling, Siliguri and North Dinajpur, attended the meeting. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal life”The DIs would send the recommendation of the managing committee to the District Magistrate and to the Commissioner of School Education, before taking any decision regarding recruitment of teachers,” a senior official of the Education department said. According to sources, the minister expressed his displeasure over the decision of shuffling of teachers at Daribhit High School in Islampur and reprimanded some DIs for taking an aggressive role in the recruitment or shuffling of teachers. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killed”The reshuffling of posts in Daribhit School is illegal. The DIs should consult the district magistrate and the School Education department before such reshuffling to avoid any untoward incident,” the official said. According to sources, Daribhit High School had no vacancy. Among its 22 sanctioned posts, five are para-teachers. “It is nothing wrong on the part of any school seeking extra teachers. But suddenly some people turned vocal, alleging that teaching posts are vacant and were seen with flags of a certain party, causing violence in which two students were killed. Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has directed to deal with the situation strongly,” Chatterjee said.