1:04 – Advertisement –
Press Association The 44-year-old Italian completed the first phase of his mission on Wearside while sitting in his armchair as Wigan’s defeat at Arsenal guaranteed the Black Cats their place in next season’s Barclays Premier League. Di Canio said: “I told them we can win, draw or lose with dignity, respecting the club’s name and the fans who follow them. But if not, I will reduce their holiday. I will give them the minimum I can give to them, which is four weeks, 28 days instead of probably 38, 40 or 41.” He added: “It depends because in some way we have to start to change the mentality. Just because I fell in a trap against Aston Villa, I don’t want to fall in a trap again. “I am sure that four or five individuals don’t need this kind of situation, but many others have to realise we need to change mentality or we have to use punishments in some way. “It’s not fair, but until the day I am sure that my players can go on the field and in some ways I can remain at home, I have to use anything I can to help change their mentality.” Survival, the very minimum requirement for the season, has justified owner and chairman Ellis Short’s decision to replace O’Neill with Di Canio at the end of March, and the new manager has been delighted with the response he has had from his players. He said: “It was important to maintain this club in the Premier League. I am very happy for the people who gave me the chance to deliver the job, for Ellis, for the Board, for the environment, for the fans, for the players because they were the protagonists. “They pushed very hard because it was difficult for them to change habits and mentality, but in the end we delivered a great job and we are happy.” Paolo Di Canio has warned his players their summer holidays could be cancelled as he prepares to implement his brave new world at Sunderland.
COMMENT WATCH US LIVE Slovan Bratislava lost its appeal Friday against exclusion from the Champions League by UEFA after players tested positive for COVID-19 in pre-game checks.The Court of Arbitration for Sport upheld UEFA’s ruling last week that ordered the Slovakian champion to forfeit a first qualifying round game in the Faeroe Islands without playing.Public authorities in the Faeroe Islands put two different squads of Slovan’s players into quarantine when a virus infection in each group was reported in tests required by UEFA.The game was postponed twice, then UEFA’s appeal panel awarded Faeroes champion KI Klaksvik a 3-0 win to advance to the next round. Slovan later said all 35 players tested negative on returning to Slovakia.Friday’s urgent ruling from a CAS judge — without yet specifying reasons — was the second verdict Slovan lost there within 10 days.Last week, sport’s highest court dismissed Slovan’s request to postpone KI’s second qualifying round game hours before kickoff in Switzerland. KI lost 3-1 to Young Boys.Slovan is among three clubs to forfeit games in August in qualifying rounds for the Champions League or Europa League.UEFA’s updated club competition rules during the pandemic recognize local public authorities’ decision-making power over suspected COVID-19 cases involving players or club officials.Slovan and Drita, the champion of Kosovo, have transferred across to qualifying rounds in the second-tier Europa League where prize money is hundreds of thousands of euros (dollars) less. Slovan was drawn to play away to KuPS of Finland on Sept. 17.(Image Credit: AP) Associated Press Television News Last Updated: 4th September, 2020 22:47 IST Virus-hit Club Loses Appeal Against Champions League Ouster Slovan Bratislava lost its appeal Friday against exclusion from the Champions League by UEFA after players tested positive for COVID-19 in pre-game checks. LIVE TV First Published: 4th September, 2020 22:46 IST Written By SUBSCRIBE TO US FOLLOW US