Nearly 1 million without power after nor’easter, third storm may hit next week

first_imgScharfsinn86/iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — Nearly one million people are without power across the Northeast on Thursday afternoon as the region digs out from its second nor’easter in seven days.Two to three feet of snow fell from New Jersey to New England as the major nor’easter swept across the Northeast on Wednesday and it is continuing to bring heavy snow to parts of northern New England.But before the snow turns to slush a third nor’easter may hit by Monday.At least one person died from the storm. The victim, an 88-year-old woman from Suffern, New York, died after being hit by a falling tree in her driveway, according to police in Suffern, which is about 30 miles northwest of Manhattan.As of Thursday afternoon over 900,000 customers were without power in the Northeast.The weather also had a big impact on travel: more than 3,200 flights were canceled because of this storm.As snow continued to fall in northern New England, Woodford, Vermont, hit the 3 foot mark, picking up 36 inches of snow.On Wednesday it was areas inland of the major cities that saw the heaviest snow. The cities themselves were mostly spared: Philadelphia saw about six inches, New York City say three to four inches and Boston saw 6.4 inches.A possible third nor’easter could impact the hard-hit Northeast by Monday.Two long-range forecast models, the European and American, are not in agreement about the storm’s path.The European model shows a very weak system that heads straight out to sea, with no impacts at all to the Northeast.However, the American model shows the storm moving much closer, potentially bringing another nor’easter near the coast.It is still too early to determine which path the storm could take. Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Massachusetts jogger details how she escaped terrifying abduction attempt

first_imgiStock/Thinkstock(BRIDGEWATER, Mass.) — A Massachusetts woman is opening up about how she managed to fight off a convicted rapist who attacked her over the weekend and tried to force her into his car.The woman, who asked not to be identified, spoke out Wednesday in an interview with ABC’s Good Morning America, offering exclusive details on how she mustered up the strength to fight off the man who assaulted her early Sunday morning.The terrifying ordeal unfolded while she was out for a routine jog at around 7:30 a.m. Sunday in Bridgewater, Massachusetts, about 33 miles south of Boston, when a man pulled his SUV over, ran toward her and tried to drag her into his vehicle.A surveillance camera captured the terrifying ordeal on video as the 37-year-old woman kicked and screamed as she tried to escape from the attacker’s grip.“I was able to fight and kind of flip him to the ground,” the woman said, but she fell to the ground, as well. “I don’t wanna go into too many details because some of it is tough for me to talk about, but he was grabbing at me.”“I just kept kicking back behind me. I was not even sure if I was making contact with him,” she added.Afraid for her life, she said she screamed “Help me” repeatedly and as loud as she could, knowing that the situation could end badly if the attacker got a better grip on her.“I was just trying to prevent him from getting a further hold of me and getting to a point where he could either assault me or pick me up and get me into the vehicle,” she said. “I knew if that happened, I was in a really bad place.”She managed to break away when the assailant stumbled a bit, fell to the ground and ran back to his car, according to the surveillance video.Police arrested 57-year-old Gordon Lyons, a convicted rapist, in connection with the attack after he allegedly fled at high speed and crashed his vehicle.The woman said she’s thankful to be alive. Her attack recalls other high-profile assaults in recent years.A similar story unfolded in Queens, New York, on Aug. 2, 2016, when 30-year-old Karina Vetrano was fatally strangled while jogging alone with her dog. Chanel Lewis, 20, was arrested in February for second-degree murder, a little over six months after Vetrano’s death.Another woman, Vanessa Marcotte, 27, was murdered less than a week later while jogging near her mother’s home in Leominster, Massachusetts. Police charged Angelo Colon-Ortiz, 31, with assault with intent to rape and aggravated assault and battery in connection to her case, citing DNA from under her nails and witness accounts, according to local reports. Colon-Ortiz pleaded not guilty.Officials with the Bridgewater Police Department commended the woman from Sunday’s video for refusing to be a victim.“She also had the presence of mind to take a picture to help law enforcement catch the perpetrator,” a spokesperson for the department told Good Morning America.The woman, who described herself as an avid runner, said she was afraid the entire time, but she would not let her fear paralyze her.“I’m not gonna say I wasn’t afraid,” she said. “But it was kind of a moment of, yeah, some fear, but also this — I’m not gonna let this happen. This is not how my story ends.”She praised the police department and her “hero” neighbor, 84-year-old Donald Prohovich, who yelled at the attacker and intervened when he realized what was happening.“I cannot tell you how grateful I am. That is a brave man and a man that cared,” the woman said.Lyons, the man accused in the attack, was charged on Tuesday in court, where he attempted to hide his face with a sheet. He pleaded not guilty. Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Two construction workers fall to their death in Florida after scaffolding collapses

first_imgOrange County Fire Rescue(ORLANDO, Fla.) — Two construction workers were killed in Florida early Wednesday when scaffolding they were working on collapsed and they plunged six stories.The accident happened at a hotel under construction in Orlando, Florida, at about 4:15 a.m. Officials said both men died at the scene.The scaffolding was between the sixth and seventh floors when it collapsed, according to Orange County Fire Rescue. The scaffolding gave way “for reasons unknown,” according to the authorities.Four people were on the scaffold at the time, with one managing to get to safety before falling, and a third worker, who was able to hang on to the scaffolding and climb up to safety. He suffered minor injuries, authorities said, but refused transport to a hospital.The workers were part of a group of about a dozen construction workers who were pouring concrete at the location.Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the Orange County Sheriff’s Office will investigate.The accident happened near Walt Disney World’s Epcot Center, but not on Disney property.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

#WhyIDidntReport gives survivors old-school platform to share their stories

first_imgBowook Yoon(NEW YORK) — The hashtag #WhyIDidntReport can be found on social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook and Instagram — and now it’s on pieces of paper around the streets of New York City.The back-to-the-future project — which allows people to get off their phones and share stories of sexual assault on sheets of white paper — started off as a class project for students at the School of Visual Arts.Ha Jung Song, 25, and Bowook Yoon, 26, were instructed to create something they cared about deeply for an advertising portfolio class.Their professor, Thomas Shim, challenged Yoon and Song to create meaningful art.“I asked a lot of questions: What are your reasons? What is your emotional connection? Making sure it came from an authentic process and not for fame,” Shim told ABC News.The students told ABC News they were inspired by sexual assault survivors who were posting their experiences in wake of the Brett Kavanaugh allegations.Christine Blasey Ford says the Supreme Court nominee sexually assaulted her in the 1980s while at a party. Two other women have also come forward with allegations against Kavanaugh.The hearing on Thursday included testimonies from Ford, who detailed her allegations for the Senate Judiciary Committee, and Kavanaugh, who angrily denied them.The White House and Senate Republicans agreed to a one-week delay after President Trump ordered an FBI investigation.President Trump, who nominated Kavanaugh, has steadfastly defended him.Last week, the president, after initially not criticizing Ford, questioned why she didn’t report the crime when it happened.“I have no doubt, if the attack on Dr. Ford was as bad as she says, charges would have been immediately filed with local law enforcement authorities by either her or her loving parents,” he tweeted.Yoon said it was that tweet that gave her a sense of urgency to speak up.“We saw Donald Trump’s tweet blaming sexual assault victims and other people are retweeting that and made the #WhyIDidntReport,” Yoon said. “They’re sharing their experience and we thought we could make a simpler template where people could speak up about this problem.”Song agreed that victims needed a platform.“We recently found out many victims of sexual assault didn’t report it for all different reasons that are equally valid,” Ha Jung Song told ABC News.More than 1,000 fliers have been posted around New York’s busiest, most high-profile subway stations, including Times Square, Herald Square and Union Square.At the Union Square station, one person wrote: “He was popular, plus well loved, so I didn’t think anyone would believe me.”Beyond the old-school pen and paper format, the students provide a forum online, too. They created an Instagram account — @whyididntreportit — and have received hundreds of reactions, including personal notes, photos and words of support, they said.“We didn’t expect people would react this much. We just wanted to let people know about this movement,” Yoon told ABC News.Pictures on their Instagram account, which has more than 1,000 followers, included a note from a woman who says she was a sexual assault survivor. She lives more than 700 miles away in Georgia.“He was an ex and I was drunk. I knew no one would believe me. I could barely walk to my car, so I called the one person I thought I could trust. I was betrayed in the worst possible way,” Tiffany Howerton, 26, shared with their Instagram page @whyididntreportit.“I used my notepad on my phone, I took a screenshot, and posted it as a picture on my Instagram,” Howerton told ABC News. “The page reached out to me and thanked me for sharing my story.”The students are creating larger posters and taking their project to other parts of Manhattan, including Lincoln Center and Union Square Park.The posters are for anyone who wants to engage, they said.“It’s not your fault. You are so brave,” reads one of the posters.The students want to provide as many platforms as possible for people to open up about what they’ve endured.“We think it’s very important to give them a place where they can share their stories and get support,” Yoon told ABC News.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Investigators probe deaths of Saudi sisters found bound together with tape in the Hudson River

first_imgiStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — The two sisters whose bodies were found bound together with tape in the Hudson River were from Saudi Arabia, the New York City Police Department said Tuesday.Tala Farea, 16, and Rotana Farea, 22, had previously been living in Fairfax, Virginia, according to the NYPD. The younger sister, Tala, had been reported missing on Aug. 24, according to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. The sisters “were students accompanying their brother in Washington,” the Saudi consulate in New York said in a statement posted on Twitter Tuesday.The sisters’ deaths have not been deemed homicides and police said it’s still not clear when they arrived in New York or why they were here. Detectives from New York have traveled to Virginia to follow up on leads in the case. Part of the investigation is looking at clues from their past lives to learn more, police said.In its statement Tuesday, the Saudi consulate in New York said authorities “are following closely and constantly for details on the case including the forensic reports showing the causes of death which have not been finalized and is still under investigation.” The consulate also said it had “appointed an attorney to follow the case closely.”The women’s bodies washed ashore off of Manhattan’s Upper West Side on Oct. 24, bound together with duct tape, police said.A passerby saw two bodies floating in the water and contacted authorities. The sisters were found laying on rocks near the river, fully clothed, both wearing black jackets with fur trim and black leggings. There were no obvious signs of trauma, police said.While officials said that the bodies were bound together with tape, the circumstances surrounding the incident remain unknown, officials said.The bodies are believed to have washed ashore with the tide and stayed when the tide went out.Anyone with information about the Farea sisters is urged to call the New York City Police Department’s Crime Stoppers hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Family members describe moment they discovered Jayme Closs was safe

first_imgCourtesy Jennifer Smith(NEW YORK) — Robert Naiberg said he could barely speak when police called to tell him that his granddaughter, 13-year-old Jayme Closs, had been found.“I was overwhelmed. I couldn’t talk,” Naiberg said on ABC News’ Good Morning America Monday. “I was the first one she gave a hug too. I was standing in my daughter Jennifer’s hallway, and she gave me a big hug.”“She hugged everybody that was there — we tried not to overwhelm her,” he added.Jayme escaped and was discovered Thursday, after spending three months in captivity with a man who allegedly abducted her from her Wisconsin home in October and killed her parents, Denise and James Closs, authorities said.She was found in Gordon, Wisconsin, about 70 miles north of her hometown of Barron. Jake Allard, a cousin who was present for the joyful reunion, said Jayme couldn’t stop smiling when she arrived home with her aunt, Jennifer Smith.“It’s unreal how everybody in the afternoon, about four hours, got her room ready for her,” Allard told GMA. “When Jennifer and her husband went to pick her up, the room was empty. When they got back, it was all done.”“Jayme’s dog was there. He crawled right up on her lap and snuggled up to her,” he added.Smith shared a heartfelt image of Jayme on Facebook Saturday, showing the young girl smiling and cuddling with her dogs.“Jayme had a pretty good night’s sleep,” Smith wrote in the post. “It was great to know she was next to me all night. What a great feeling to have her home.”Naiberg said the family recorded video of her parents’ funeral for her with hopes that it might give her a bit of closure.“They taped the funeral for her, but they’re not going to show it to her …” Naiberg said. “When she’s ready.”Allard, who described Jayme as shy and quiet, said he’s worried about how she’ll process the tragedy.“My biggest concern was that she was real close to her mother,” Allard said. “Her mother was really good to her. Her dad was too.”Jake Patterson, 21, of Gordon, was arrested and charged with kidnapping Jayme and killing her parents, officials said. He’s scheduled to make his initial court appearance on the charges Monday, and his attorney, Charlie Glynn, said it’s too early to discuss specifics of the case.“This is a tragic situation from every perspective,” Glynn told GMA. “Lots of heavy hearts, lots of thoughts and prayers going around.”“His feelings and emotions are consistent with what you would expect,” he added.It’s unclear if some of Jayme’s family will attend the hearing.“I know I’m not going to go,” Allard said. “He has lawyers, and I do not want to listen to them. Anyone who could do something like this deserves a max sentence.” Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Cesar Sayoc, man accused of mailing bombs targeting prominent Democrats, to plead guilty: Court records

first_imgJohnny Louis/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) — Cesar Sayoc, the suspect behind a campaign of letter bombs targeting prominent Democrats, including former President Barack Obama, is expected to plead guilty next week, according to a federal court docket in New York.Sayoc, of Aventura, Florida, was arrested in October after allegedly mass-mailing explosive devices to top Democrats, CNN and other prominent figures.Days after the first package was delivered, FBI investigators found a latent fingerprint from an envelope mailed to Democratic California Congresswoman Maxine Waters. The fingerprint belonged to Sayoc, FBI Director Chris Wray said in October.Also among those to receive packages were Obama, former Vice President Joe Biden, former Secretary of State and presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, Democratic Sen. Kamala Harris of California and Democratic Sen. Cory Booker of New Jersey.Sayoc faces 30 charges. It is unclear which charges he will plead guilty to.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Feds can’t agree why 2K kids are waiting to get picked up from border stations

first_imgJohn Moore/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) —  More than 2,400 children were waiting to get picked up from Border Patrol stations along the U.S.-Mexico border as of Friday, officials said, and the federal agencies in charge of caring for them can’t agree on why most of them aren’t being quickly moved into children’s shelters.The minors, referred to in government circles as “unaccompanied alien children,” or UACs, are typically older children and teens who are traveling without their parents, although toddlers and infants also turn up in groups of traveling migrants.Under U.S. law, the minors are supposed to spend less than 72 hours in Border Patrol custody before being transported to one of dozens of children’s shelters scattered across the country and run by the Department of Health and Human Services. Transportation is the job of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.U.S. officials agree the detention facilities – oftentimes cement blocks without beds – are no place for children and that it’s imperative to move younger migrants out within 72 hours of being apprehended.But as the number of unaccompanied migrant kids soared to 9,000 in the month of April alone – a final tally for May is expected to be even higher – the U.S. government has left many kids waiting at detention facilities for several days at a time.Earlier this month, a 16-year-old boy died at a detention facility in Texas after spending a week in Border Patrol custody and experiencing flu-like symptoms.When asked why hundreds of thousands of kids are stuck in border facilities on any given day, the Homeland Security Department – which oversees border operations and ICE – points to Health and Human Services.Acting Secretary Kevin McAleenan told reporters on a press call late Thursday that the kids were waiting because HHS was “out of bed space” and noted that Congress hasn’t approved a $2.8 billion request for emergency spending to care for migrant children.But HHS says that isn’t the case. While the agency says it needs the emergency money approved by Congress this June so it can continue to pay the privately run children’s shelters, the agency has insisted repeatedly to ABC News that it is not out of bed space and will accept any child transported into its custody so long as the child is medically cleared.Mark Weber, a spokesman for HHS, said late Thursday in response to McAleenan’s comments that the agency’s “shelters have beds available and they are ready to receive UAC when processed by DHS.”Weber said the agency remains in “daily contact” with DHS on the number of children being referred to its care.HHS was forced to shut down one of its biggest children’s shelters in Texas, called Tornillo. But the agency has said it has the ability to ramp up capacity at one of its largest shelters, Homestead in Florida, and that it is looking at opening up new shelter sites in places like Fort Sill in Oklahoma.One possible issue could be the time lag between a child’s apprehension by border authorities and when HHS notifies DHS that it can accept placement of a child. That official acceptance by HHS is what triggers ICE to transport the child to one of its shelters. An ICE spokesman referred questions to DHS and HHS but said it’s planning on transporting about 45,000 kids per year based on current levels. Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

14-year-old killed while playing basketball in Queens, New York

first_imgWABC(NEW YORK) — New York City police are investigating two instances of teens shot by stray bullets in the same Queens neighborhood over the weekend.A 14-year-old boy died after he was struck in the neck while playing basketball near the Baisley Houses in the Jamaica neighborhood on Saturday night, ABC New York station WABC-TV reported.Aamir Griffin, a freshman at Cardozo High School, had just scored the winning 3-pointer for his team days before his death, according to the station. Known as “Buddy” in his circle of friends, he was already being scouted by college recruits and dreamed of playing in the NBA.He was not the intended target of the shooting, police said.Earlier in the day, a 16-year-old girl was shot in the shoulder in front of the New Dawn Charter High School nearby, WABC-TV reported.The intended target in that shooting was a student of the school who was at a basketball court after a large fight broke out, police said. The girl suffered non-life threatening injuries.Police are investigating whether the shootings are related and searching for two suspects seen on surveillance video running away from the scene after Griffin was shot.Griffin’s coach, Ron Naclerio, described him to WABC-TV as having a passion for basketball that would have eventually landed him on the varsity team. A friend, who was not named, described him as a “great kid” with positive energy.Some of his classmates were not in school on Monday to attend his funeral.“These kids are probably missing school later today for a really wrong reason, to bury a teammate,” Naclerio said.Neighbors expressed concern that the kids who live nearby “can’t even play in the playground anymore.”“What happened to him was senseless,” Lisa Lewis said regarding Griffin’s death.Joan Rickets, who lived a block away from his family, told WABC-TV, “Something needs to be done. It has to stop. The guns gotta come out of the streets and out of these kids’ hands.”Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Ohio sheriff deputy quits after allegedly seen punching restrained prisoner 11 times

first_imgNoahBryant/iStock(WAVERLY, Ohio) — A former Ohio deputy sheriff’s behavior is now the target of criminal investigators after he was allegedly seen on surveillance video punching a restrained prisoner 11 times in the face until his own hand was injured.Jeremy Mooney resigned from his position with the Pike County Sheriff’s Office last month after an internal investigation launched for his alleged use of excessive force on Thomas Friend, according to a press release issued by Sheriff James E. Nelson on Monday.Friend was under arrest on Nov. 18, 2019 for a number of misdemeanor charges and placed in a restraint chair by deputies on duty because of his “noncompliance and disruptive behavior,” Nelson said in the release.During the video surveillance from inside the holding area and outside of the Waverly, Ohio, facility, Mooney is allegedly seen repeatedly punching Friend who is also handcuffed.At some point during the alleged assault that moved to the parking lot, Mooney’s supervisor Sgt. Tim Stansberry was allegedly nearby when Mooney pepper sprayed Friend before pushing him onto his back in the chair, rendering him unable to move for several minutes, said Pike County Prosecutor Rob Junk who described the video to ABC News on Tuesday as “disturbing.”Friend and Mooney were taken to a local hospital for treatment and were released, said Nelson.Nelson said he was notified by other officers, who responded to the hospital, and an investigation was launched. Mooney and Stansberry were placed on administrative leave pending the completion of the investigation, which recommended firing Mooney.“Prior to the disciplinary hearing Deputy Mooney tendered his resignation. During the disciplinary hearing, it was decided Sgt. Stansberry would be demoted in rank and serve a two week suspension,” said Nelson in the release.Efforts by ABC News to reach Mooney for comment were not successful.The sheriff’s internal investigation findings were turned over to Junk for consideration of criminal charges, Nelson said.“The most important thing is that he is criminally prosecuted,” Junk told ABC News.Junk said he called the local FBI offices and the U.S. Attorney’s office to take a look at the video in order for federal charges to be considered. “This will be 100 percent investigated.”Copyright © 2019, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.last_img read more