Pardew wants to eradicate trouble

first_img Unsavoury incidents in Palace’s last two home games have seen missiles thrown towards opposing players, with Newcastle skipper Fabricio Coloccini caught on the face in his side’s 1-1 Premier League draw last week. Both Palace and Newcastle boss John Carver condemned the actions, but another misdemeanour is reported to have occurred during Saturday evening’s FA Cup fifth-round defeat to Liverpool. A commuter attempted to board a train at Richelieu-Drouot Metro station on Tuesday but was pushed back more than once by what appeared to be a group of Chelsea fans travelling to the Parc des Princes to watch the Champions League tie against Paris St Germain. There were also audible chants of ”We’re racist and that’s the way we like it” from the same group after the incident was filmed by a fellow Metro user – with the video soon spreading due to sites such as Twitter and Facebook. And Pardew wants the same technology to be used to combat any further missile throwing, with the club’s reputation at stake. “The incident with Chelsea in Paris gives you the strength of social media,” he said. “So if any fans are next to someone (behaving inappropriately) then film them. Let’s have a picture of them and we’ll try and do our best to find them. “We represent society at all levels we get all types of our society here and we can’t control their behaviour to a degree. “All we can do is put on the best environment and most children-friendly environment we possibly can and we’ve got the best atmosphere in the country and we don’t want to lose that with silly little incidents that have come, and I don’t want to keep going on about it. “Those few citizens that are letting us down, we need to reel them in and point them out to us.” The spotlight will be on the behaviour of home fans when Arsenal visit Selhurst Park on Saturday and Pardew does not want to see any further repeats after the club insisted they would ban anyone caught in the act. “We take a zero-tolerance approach to this sort of behaviour and, if the perpetrators are identified, they will be banned indefinitely from the stadium. If they are season ticket holders their cards will be made void without a refund,” a club statement read. And Pardew echoed such comments when questioned during his press conference to preview the visit of the Gunners. “It is a big concern for the football club because you don’t want it,” he said. “But for me, the manager, I just want to prepare the team so it is not high on my agenda. I hope it stops because it’s something we want to take out of the game. “We’ve had two incidents and we need to stamp it down and that’s what the officials at this football club will try and do. “Absolutely (a ban is justified). I think the first time a coin is thrown is maybe the heat of the moment but to do it twice is stupid and we can’t accept that at any level. Pardew hailed the impact social media played in highlighting the behaviour of a number of Chelsea fans on the Paris Metro on Tuesday night. Crystal Palace manager Alan Pardew has called on the club’s supporters to use social media to name and shame anyone caught throwing coins – allowing him to focus on picking a team to beat Arsenal on Saturday. Press Associationlast_img read more

Monk spurred on by birthday boys

first_imgSwansea manager Garry Monk will be at Tottenham instead of his twins’ first birthday party on Wednesday – but the present he really wants is three points at White Hart Lane. Monk joked he was in the doghouse with wife Lexy for missing the celebrations for twin sons Louis and Theo after the Barclays Premier League game was put back 24 hours because of Tottenham’s involvement in the Capital One Cup final on Sunday. “I’ve had it all in the ear!” said Monk. “The game was moved because they got to the final and my wife was the first to see it. “For whatever reason, that’s the record but we have had some good games against them. “So while the stats show what they do, I think the story of the games is that they have been competitive.” Successive wins over Manchester United and Burnley have seen Swansea reach the 40-point mark after 27 games, the fewest amount of matches in which they have achieved that feat. Two seasons ago Swansea reached 40 points after 28 games but Michael Laudrup’s side managed only six more in their final 10 games and Monk does not expect that sort of slide to happen again. “It’s not a concern the players will down tools,” Monk said. “I think you have seen in the last two performances that the focus has been there. “Where we’re at, and the history of where we are, we will win games and lose games. “That will be the case in the 11 games coming up but our focus is on trying to win as many as possible and get as many points as possible and not just settle for what we have got. “We are safe which is great, but you want more than that and this group of players want more than that.” “But my wife understands my job and has been tremendous about it. “The twins are having a party on Wednesday so I will have to FaceTime them. “Maybe I could try it at half-time and get the lads to give them a wave! “But I am sure we will celebrate when I get back and it would be great to have three points when we do. “I’m not sure they will appreciate it but, then again, it could be a perfect present.” Swansea have certainly found gifts hard to come by against Spurs who triumphed 2-1 at the Liberty Stadium in December and have actually won the last six games between the two clubs after the first Premier League meeting ended in a draw. While Swansea have beaten Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City and Manchester United in one competition or another since joining the Premier League elite, Tottenham have remained a bridge too far for the Welsh club. “We have probably been a bit unlucky to have that record against us but they are a difficult side to play, a good side with quality,” Monk said. Press Associationlast_img read more

Barkedu Must be Quarantined!

first_imgMembers of the Barkedu Development Association (BDA) based in the United States of America (USA) are calling on the government of Liberia to quarantine the township of Barkedu located in Quardu Gboni District, Lofa County.The BDA members, through their president Abdullah S. Sheriff, said the move would help contain the Ebola virus that has wreaked great havoc in the area.The township and district have been the hardest hit since the outbreak of the virus in the country. Some 130 people from Barkedu and the district as a whole have been taken to the Foya treatment center. Of that number, 70 people have died.An earlier amount of 34 people also died in the township of Barkedu, including a family of 15 that was completely wiped out.The township is predominantly inhabited by the Mandingo tribe.President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, while announcing the state of emergency imposed last month, said that ignorance, poverty, as well as entrenched religious and cultural practices continue to exacerbate the spread of the disease especially in the counties.Mr. Sheriff alleged that all those who died were buried without medical advice and has created many suspected Ebola cases among citizens of the town and district. Barkedu is the largest town and political seat of Quardu Gboni District.The BDA president, according to a communication, said government’s failure to quarantine Barkedu Town after the outbreak of the Ebola virus has exacerbated the situation in the area, something he described as very outrageous and disappointing, especially being one of the towns in Lofa County that has recorded the largest number of deaths from the Ebola virus.The BDA leader  indicated that the disease has killed more people in the town and district than any other part of the country due to the Liberian  government and its Ministry of Health’s  failure to quarantine and open a treatment center in the town, which he believes could have helped to save lives.He disclosed that at present there are 250 Ebola cases in Barkedu Town and the district.  He thinks the only way the majority of their people could have survived from the disease was for the government to quarantine the entire district and provide for the people the necessary medical treatments and food.”If President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf government should win the “ninety (90) days State of Emergency War” against the deadly Ebola Virus in Liberia, she must do everything possible to open centers in Barkedu which has been singled out to have largest Ebola cases in Liberia.”Meanwhile, Mr. Sheriff has described the State of Emergency declared by President Sirleaf early last month to contain the spread of the virus, as a good move, but added that it would not have been necessary had government been more proactive from the onset of the fight against the virus.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more