Receive email alerts Follow the news on Argentina July 6, 2020 Find out more “They looked as if they were ready for war,” an editor from La Garganta Poderosa told Reporters Without Borders. “They failed to show us any legal mandate and refused to identify themselves. When a colleague asked them to do so, they shoved him against a wall and twisted his arm. They wanted to arrest him, but we stopped them after a short struggle.” Local violence There is less violence towards journalists in Argentina than elsewhere in the region, but assaults have increased in recent months, particularly in the provinces. Journalist Daniel Ortigoza, owner of the radio station FM Imperio in the north-eastern province of Misiones, told Reporters Without Borders he was hospitalized after being beaten up by the mayor of Puerto Esperanza, Alfredo Gruber, on 13 September, while police officers looked on. He had previously referred to the possible involvement of the mayor’s nephew in the murder of an 18-year-old woman last year.Another cloud hanging over Argentina is the fact that it has one of South America’s four journalists held in prison, namely Néstor Omar Pasquini, who entered his third year in custody in Córdoba province on 12 September. News Latin American media: under control of families, economic and political elites to go further Help by sharing this information November 19, 2020 Find out more News Journalists face archaic sanction of capital punishment in some parts of the world News News Organisation On eve of the G20 Riyadh summit, RSF calls for public support to secure the release of jailed journalists in Saudi Arabia ArgentinaAmericas September 18, 2013 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Community magazine raided by national border guards ArgentinaAmericas RSF_en Reporters Without Borders condemns the intimidation and threats made two days ago against the community magazine La Garganta Poderosa in Villa Zabaleta, a poor district of Buenos Aires. About a dozen armed members of the national border guard raided its offices and seized newsroom equipment without a warrant or explanation. “This violent police operation against La Garganta Poderosa and its staff with no legal basis whatsoever are a gross abuse of power,” the press freedom organization said.“A federal inquiry must be carried out to establish as soon as possible the reason for such action and punish those behind it. The police high command, for its part, must be held to account for the behaviour of its forces. “In what capacity are military border guards mandated to silence a local magazine?”The Villa Zabaleta district was traumatized by the death of a nine-year-old boy on 7 September after violent clashes between local gangs and also between the gangsters and the police. Hours before the raid on La Garganta Poderosa, journalists from the magazine had gone with members of the boy’s family to court to file a formal complaint. That evening, five military police trucks appeared suddenly in the area. December 4, 2019 Find out more
Help by sharing this information RSF_en IraqMiddle East – North Africa News February 15, 2021 Find out more Reporters Without Borders and its Romanian partner organization, the Media Monitoring Agency (MMA), voiced “enormous concern” and reiterated their support for the families of the three Romanian journalists held hostage in Iraq after the Qatar-based Al-Jazeera TV station broadcast a new video of them today and said their abductors are threatening to kill them if Romania does not pull out its troops from Iraq in four days. December 28, 2020 Find out more December 16, 2020 Find out more Reporters Without Borders and its Romanian partner organization, the Media Monitoring Agency (MMA), voiced “enormous concern” and reiterated their support for the families of the three Romanian journalists held hostage in Iraq after the Qatar-based Al-Jazeera TV station broadcast a new video of them today and said their abductors are threatening to kill them if Romania does not pull out its troops from Iraq in four days.”We feel great anxiety at the sight of these three hostages handcuffed, thin, barefoot and with guns pointed at their heads,” the two organizations said. “We share the agony being felt by their families, friends and media colleagues. We reiterate our confidence in the Romanian authorities who, we are convinced, are doing everything possible to find a solution. By demanding the withdrawal of Romania’s troops from Iraq, kidnappers are once again putting journalists at the centre of an unbearable act of blackmail.”Reporters Without Borders and MMA added: “Marie-Jeanne Ion, Sorin Dumitru Miscoci and Eduard Ovidiu Ohanesian are not spies and should not have to bear the consequences of a governmental decision. We call on the abductors to make a distinction between essential work in the field by journalists and Romania’s political decisions.”The poor-quality video broadcast by Al-Jazeera today showed the journalists for the first since the video that was released the day after their abduction on 28 March. Their abductors, who are calling themselves “The Brigade of Mouadh Ibn Jabal,” gave the Romanian government four days from today to withdraw its troops, failing which the hostages would be killed.Al-Jazeera reported that, in the video, Ion called on the Romanian people to protest in order to pressure the Romanian government. A separate sequence showed the fourth hostage, Mohamed Munaf, who was acting as the journalists’ guide, calling on US President Georges W. Bush to intervene to ensure his release.Ion, 32, a reporter with the Bucharest-based television station Prima TV, Miscoci, 30, a Prima TV cameraman, and Ohanesian, a reporter with the privately-owned newspaper Romania Libera, were kidnapped with their guide on 28 March, five days after arriving in Iraq. Follow the news on Iraq Receive email alerts IraqMiddle East – North Africa News Three jailed reporters charged with “undermining national security” Organisation RSF’s 2020 Round-up: 50 journalists killed, two-thirds in countries “at peace” News to go further Iraq : Wave of arrests of journalists covering protests in Iraqi Kurdistan April 22, 2005 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Great concern after Al-Jazeera shows video of Romanians with threats by abductors News
HMS Alliance, the only surviving British WW2era ocean going submarine has become the first accessible submarine in the world.As part of the £7m conservation project to restore HMS Alliance back to her former glory, a lift has been installed to assist people with mobility difficulties to go on board the historic submarine.Chris Munns, Director at the Royal Navy Submarine Museum said,“The lift can transport one person in a wheelchair safely into the after-end of HMS Alliance. From that compartment they have an excellent view through the submarine engine room towards the control room.“It is really marvellous to be able to offer this service to our visitors and we are all very honoured at being the first submarine that can do so!”Members of the Gosport Access & Inclusion Groups visited the Submarine Museum today to test the new lift and experience going on board HMS Alliance for the first time. They were met by a submariner who told them about the submarine and shared some of his personnel stories of life on board.HMS Alliance was designed during WW2 for service in the Far East and was laid down in March 1945, a few months before victory was achieved. She then began a distinguished 28 year career during the Cold War until she retired in 1973 and became the centrepiece of the Submarine Museum in 1982.HMS Alliance had suffered severe corrosion during thirty years on display to the public. The project to save HMS Alliance received a £3.4 million lottery grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund. A further £3.55 million has been donated leaving £50,000 left to raise.As well as the physical conservation, at the heart of the project is a new education programme and dynamic interpretation scheme which will bring Alliance ‘back to life’ for all visitors.Improvements will include dressing the accommodation spaces to reflect the decades of Alliance’s service from the 1940’s through to the 1970’s with interactive soundscapes that reflect how the submarine looked and felt whilst on operations.HMS Alliance is currently open to visitors until the end of the year. After that the historic submarine will be closed for the final stage of conservation works and reopened for Easter 2014.[mappress]Press Release, October 25, 2013; Image: Royal Navy Share this article October 25, 2013 View post tag: world View post tag: Accessible View post tag: first First Accessible Submarine in the World View post tag: submarine Back to overview,Home naval-today First Accessible Submarine in the World Training & Education
McClean has previously been abused on the social networking site after opting to play for the Republic of Ireland rather than Northern Ireland, and for his decision not to wear a Remembrance Day poppy on his shirt. He also landed himself in hot water with international manager Giovanni Trapattoni after expressing his disgust at being left out of the team for the Republic’s World Cup qualifier in Kazakhstan in September, and later issued an apology to the 73-year-old Italian. Club boss Martin O’Neill has also been less than happy with the player’s use of Twitter and will hope his latest withdrawal from the site is permanent. Meanwhile, the agent of Sunderland goalkeeper Simon Mignolet has warned his client may have to move to realise his international ambitions. The 24-year-old is currently back-up to Atletico Madrid’s Thibaut Courtois in the Belgian national team, and his representative Guy Vandermissen hinted he could seek a higher-profile employer as he bids to establish himself as number one. Vandermissen told Belgian broadcaster ATV: “Our ambition is for Simon to play somewhere that he can engage in competition with Thibaut Courtois for the place in goal for Belgium. Courtois is fortunate that he is playing for a team that has been doing well lately.” O’Neill will be desperate to retain the services of the former Sint-Truiden player, who has made the position at the Stadium of Light his own and has two years of his contract still to run. Keiren Westwood is an able deputy, but Mignolet’s form has marked him out as one of the most accomplished goalkeeper in the Barclays Premier League this season. Press Association Sunderland midfielder James McClean has closed down his Twitter account after finding himself embroiled in further controversy. Press Association Sport understands the Derry-born player made the move after sparking an angry response when he tweeted about a Wolfe Tones song, the Broad Black Brimmer, at the weekend. The song tells the story of a boy whose father is killed fighting for the IRA. McClean’s post attracted criticism from Gregory Campbell, DUP MP for East Londonderry, who advised the 23-year-old to “stick to football”.