Islam Salih released

first_img Sudan : Press freedom still in transition a year after Omar al-Bashir’s removal Receive email alerts News Organisation SudanAfrica March 29, 2020 Find out more Covid-19 in Africa: RSF joins a coalition of civil society organizations to demand the release of imprisoned journalists on the continent April 27, 2004 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Islam Salih released SudanAfrica ——————————————————————————–13.04.2004Call for release of Al-Jazeera bureau chief and end to blackout on reporting in Darfur Follow the news on Sudan Help by sharing this information center_img Islam Salih, Al-Jazeera’s bureau chief in Khartoum, was released from prison on 25 April 2004, after having served half his sentence.A court in Khartoum had sentenced him to one month in prison on 10 April but the appeal court cut his sentence by half and reduced his fine to 500,000 dinars (about 1,600 euros at the official rate) after his lawyer Ali Mahmoud Hassanain decided to take the case to the High Court.Reporters Without Borders strongly regretted that Salih’s release was not followed by the reopening of the Al-Jazeera offices in Khartoum, closed since December 2003. News Coronavirus infects press freedom in Africa RSF_en News April 10, 2020 Find out more April 6, 2020 Find out more News to go further Reporters Without Borders today called for the immediate release of Al-Jazeera’s bureau chief in Khartoum, Islam Salih, who was convicted on 10 April of disseminating false information and sentenced to a month in prison, a fine of 1 million Sudanese pounds (about 3,200 euros at the official rate) and a further month in prison if he does not pay the fine.The organisation also urged the Sudanese authorities to lift their news blackout on the tragic situation in the western Darfur region, which is the underlying reason for Salih’s unacceptable arrest and imprisonment.”This imprisonment is just one more example of the intolerable policy pursued by the Sudanese authorities, especially the security services, who are trying to cover up the horrors being committed against the civilian population in Darfur by the government forces and the armed Arab militia they support,” Reporters Without Borders said.The organisation described the blackout that has been imposed on the press as “criminal” and said it had aggravated the crisis. “We have lost count of the number of newspapers closed and journalists detained over the past year for trying to defy the blackout,” the organisation said.”We urge the government to release Salih and to allow all journalists to work freely so that both the Sudanese people and the rest of the world can be told about the situation in Darfur,” the organisation added.Salih and an Al-Jazeera cameramen were detained on 18 December 2003, a day after the security services searched the Khartoum offices of the Qatar-based TV news network despite not having a warrant. The authorities claimed that customs duty had not been paid on material brought into the country. But Salih produced evidence showing the duty had been paid. The Al-Jazeera bureau was closed.A few days before this, members of the security forces had threatened Al-Jazeera with reprisals if it did not change its coverage of Sudan. A report on Darfur had above all upset the authorities, who accused the network of disseminating false information.The Khartoum court referred to article 66 of the 1991 criminal code – concerning the dissemination of false information – and article 199 of the Custom Authority Act when convicting Salih on 10 April. Salih, who has appealed, was immediately taken to Omdurman prison.The fighting that has pitted the Sudanese army and government-backed Arab militias against the rebels in Darfur has reportedly left a toll of 10,000 dead, 670,000 internally displaced and 10,000 refugees in Chad since February. The authorities have sought to hush up the atrocities committed by the Janjaweed (armed Arab militia riding horses or camels) against members of the Fur African community (including the Masalit, Dajo, Tunjur, Tama and Zaghawas tribes). Human Rights Watch has referred to the situation as a “crime against humanity” while the World Organisation Against Torture has voiced concern about the “spectre of a new genocide.”last_img read more

A reassessment of the age of the Cockburn Island Formation, northern Antarctic Peninsula, and its palaeoclimatic implications

first_imgNew constraints on the age of the Cockburn Island Formation, northern Antarctic Peninsula, resulting from whole rock laser-stepped heated 40Ar–39Ar dating of associated basalt and palaeomagnetic re-calibration of the ranges of the formation’s fossil diatom taxa, suggest that interglacial conditions existed around 3 million years ago. The refined age of the deposit supports continent-wide Late Pliocene warming in Antarctica, and makes more likely the occurrence of extensive marine incursions in East Antarctica at that time.last_img read more

This Kootenay Ice team is primed for some home cooking

first_imgIce dropped a pair of close games to Greater Vancouver Canadians before grabbing three of four points in a weekend set against Thompson Blazers.Kootenay won 6-3 before playing to a 2-2 draw against the Blazers.Six different players —Tommy McConnachie of Trail, Hunter Flois of Vanderhoof, Conner Seib of Trail, Kaleb Comishin of Nelson, Shawn Campbell of Castlegar and Caige Sterzer of Kimberley— scored in the opener for Kootenay.Last weekend Kootenay was in tough against Vancouver Northeast Chiefs, losing 7-3 and 4-0.McConnachie scored twice and Floris added a single to complete the Ice scoring.“I like the makeup of our team this year. This is a really good group of kids,” Jones said.“We were short handed last weekend due to some last minute issues.”Kootenay is one of 11 teams in the BCMMHL.The league was established in 2004 to provide elite level 15, 16 and 17 year olds an opportunity to play within their own age group at a high level and be developed for the next level of hockey.These teams have an opportunity each year to compete for the National Midget Championship. The Kootenay Ice get a taste of some home cooking as the BC Major Midget Hockey League squad hosts its home opening weekend beginning Saturday at the NDCC Arena.The Ice, 1-4-1 open the season, play host to Valley West Hawks Saturday at 7 p.m. in the NDCC Arena.Sunday, puck drop on the second game of the series is at 10 a.m., also in Nelson.“We are very excited to have our first home games of the year this coming weekend,” said Ice head coach Brian Jones.Jones assumed the helm of the Good Ship Ice this season after spending the last few years as the assistant coach to Rob Wright.Kootenay began the season with three consecutive road trips to the Lower Mainland and Kamloops.last_img read more

WILD DUDE RALLIES FROM OFF PACE TO TAKE GRADE II, $200,000 KONA GOLD STAKES BY ONE LENGTH OVER FAVORED SUBTLE INDIAN; BEJARANO, HOLLENDORFER TEAM FOR 6 ½ FURLONG WIN IN 1:15.10

first_img$75,000 MIZDIRECTION STAKES GOES TO ZIEBARTH HOME-BRED SO SWEETITIZ ARCADIA, Calif. (May 21, 2016)–With a lively pace to run at, Wild Dude skimmed the rail turning for home under Rafael Bejarano and overtook favored Subtle Indian in the final sixteenth of a mile to win Saturday’s Grade II, $200,000 Kona Gold Stakes by one length. Trained by Jerry Hollendorfer, Wild Dude, who broke from the rail, covered 6 ½ furlongs in 1:15.10.In a bizarre turn of events, Subtle Indian, who was riding a four-race winning streak at Oaklawn Park coming into the Kona Gold, broke sharply under regular rider Ramon Vazquez and when recent Los Angeles Stakes winner San Onofre was abruptly pulled up coming out of the seven furlong chute, Subtle Indian found himself on a lonely lead heading to the half mile pole and into the far turn. However, the field compressed approaching the quarter pole and Wild Dude, who was well back early, took command late.The third choice in the wagering in a field of eight older horses at 9-2, Wild Dude paid $11.20, $4.00 and $2.80.“We gave this horse a little time and he’s been training really well,” said Hollendorfer, who also co-owns the 6-year-old Florida-bred horse by Wildcat Heir with Green Smith, Jr. “I didn’t know if the number one post would hurt him, but he got real lucky and got through, so that was what won the race for him. He’s a real nice horse. He’s a millionaire now and we’re very proud of him.With the winner’s share of $120,000, Wild Dude’s career earnings zoomed to $1,095,232. In getting his fifth career Santa Anita win, Wild Dude improved his overall mark to 22-8-5-4.“I knew that (Subtle Indian) would go to the lead,” said Bejarano. “I thought other horses would go with him but I just took my time. I knew my horse would show me a big kick but I had to make sure by the three eighths pole that I had enough room. I let him go in the stretch, had a clean trip and my horse won.”Hammered to favoritism at 4-5, Subtle Indian fought off all challengers a quarter mile out, but couldn’t withstand the late charge of the winner and had to settle for second, a half length in front of Cautious Giant. Subtle Indian paid $2.80 and $2.40.“I think Subtle Indian ran a good race today,” said Vazquez. “He never quits and he tries really hard. I think he is better at six furlongs. Today, at six and a half, he had to go a little more. In this case, the other horse just ran better than mine.”Ridden by Santiago Gonzalez, Cautious Giant out-gamed Coastline late and finished third by a neck. Off at 14-1, Cautious Giant paid $4.20 to show.San Onofre, who was ridden by Edwin Maldonado, sustained two broken sesamoid bones in his right front ankle and had to be euthanized.Fractions on the race were 21.58, 44.37 and 1:08.76. Saturday’s co-feature, the $75,000 Mizdirection Stakes, for fillies and mares 3 and up at 6 ½ furlongs down the hillside turf course, was run immediately following the Kona Gold, as the 10th race on an 11-race card. Taken in gate to wire fashion, it was won by Pamela Ziebarth’s homebred So Sweetitiz, who won by a half length over Miss Double dOro while getting the distance in 1:13.70.Ridden by Mike Smith and trained by Marty Jones, So Sweetitiz, a 4-year-old Kentucky-bred daughter of Grand Slam, was off at 7-1 in a field of eight and paid $17.00, $7.00 and $4.20.“It’s been a process with this filly,” said Jones. “She’s had her ups and downs and she’s been real aggressive. It seems like once we got her on the turf, she started getting confident and doing things the right way. Mike rode a great race. I expected her to be up close, but with Mike you kind of just tell him what she’s like, and he takes care of the rest.”Miss Double d’Oro paid $3.60 and $2.40.Swift Lady, the 9-5 favorite, paid $2.60 to show.First post time for a 10-race card on Sunday at Santa Anita is at 2 p.m. Admission gates open at 11 a.m.last_img read more

Shivpal Yadav to build Bharat temple in Jammu

first_imgLucknow: The Pragatisheel Samajwadi Party Lohia (PSPL), led by Shivpal Singh Yadav, has decided to construct a temple of Bharat Mata in Jammu. Senior PSPL leader Deepak Misra said that the party will purchase a plot of land in Kathua in Jammu. The temple complex will be spread over one-acre land. “Surendra Singh, the PSPL state president in Jammu and Kashmir, has been entrusted the responsibility of identifying the land and working out modalities for the construction of the temple,” Misra said. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’ The design of the temple will be made by Jamaal Darvish, a prominent architect from Telangana. Misra said that the temple will also have a museum dedicated to the freedom fighters of the country. Photographs of Chandra Shekhar Azad, Ashfaqullah Khan, Bhagat Singh, Subhash Chandra Bose, Mahatma Gandhi, Ram Manohar Lohia and Jai Prakash Narain will adorn the picture gallery in the museum.last_img read more

Waterloo police to probe handling of assault case by Toronto officer last

first_imgTORONTO – Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders has asked police in Waterloo, Ont., to investigate how his force handled a case involving the alleged assault of a teen by an off-duty Toronto police officer.The province’s police watchdog has said Const. Michael Theriault was off duty when he allegedly assaulted a 19-year-old in Whitby, Ont., last December.The Special Investigations Unit has said there was an interaction allegedly involving Theriault, a civilian and the teen.The SIU says the teen was taken to hospital with undisclosed serious injuries.Theriault has been charged with aggravated assault, assault with a weapon, and public mischief.Saunders says the Toronto police force did not initially contact the SIU after the alleged incident based on the information they had at the time.He says when a new version of events emerged, the SIU’s involvement was required.Saunders says he took the extra step of asking Waterloo police to investigate how the matter was handled given the circumstances of the case.last_img read more