Daniil Medvedev won hearts with humility and simplicity: PM Modi

first_imgWhile addressing his monthly radio program ‘Mann Ki Baat’, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday talked about Russian tennis player Daniil Medvedev’s sportsman spirit after losing to Rafael Nadal in the US Open.Outlining that players’ speech and his game personified the heart-winning spirit of sportsmanship, PM Modi said, “I hope you are aware that I am just as common a person like everyone else. Being an ordinary citizen, whatever affects you has the same effect on me as well. Hence I too heard the speech and watched the tennis match between Nadal and Medvedev. Sheer simplicity and maturity displayed by Medvedev touched everyone.”Prime Minister Modi emphasised on the sportsman spirit of Medvedev while praising the humility of Grand Slam champion Rafael Nadal.”It surely stirred me. He won hearts with humility and simplicity; an epitome of the spirit of sportsmanship in the truest sense that he is, in letter and spirit,” PM Modi said while speaking of Medvedev.The Prime Minister also urged the countrymen to hear Medvedev’s speech and lauded his demeanour.”This young player has won the hearts of people across the globe”, he said.”These are moments that go way beyond winning and losing, where victory and defeat cease to matter. It is the life that is a victory. As a matter of fact, this young player has won the hearts of people across the globe,” PM Modi said.Earlier this month, after losing a five-set thriller in the US Open final against Rafael Nadal, Russia’s Daniil Medvedev had congratulated the Spaniard on his 19th Grand Slam win and said that playing against the player was very tough.advertisementThe two tennis players enthralled fans of the sport with a nearly five-hour-long match, which he lost 5-7, 3-6, 7-5, 6-4, 4-6 on September 8, 2019.”The way you are playing is a big joke. It is very tough to play against you,” US Open’s official website quoted Medvedev as saying.Also Read | US Open 2019: Novak Djokovic in awe of Rafael Nadal’s amazing’ fighting spiritAlso Read | Daniil Medvedev completes journey from villain to hero at US OpenAlso Seelast_img read more

4-Star Michigan Recruit Suffers Season-Ending Injury

first_imgAn exterior view of Michigan Stadium prior to a game.ANN ARBOR, MI – SEPTEMBER 6: General view of the entrance to Michigan Stadium prior to the game between the Michigan Wolverines and the Houston Cougars on September 6, 2003 in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Michigan defeated Houston 50-3. (Photo by Danny Moloshok/Getty Images)Defensive end Braiden McGregor, one of the top players in Michigan’s 2020 recruiting class, was enjoying a strong senior season at Port Huron Northern High School. Unfortunately, his season is now over after a serious injury.According to The Michigan Insider, McGregor suffered a severe leg injury and will miss the rest of the year. Per the report, he has torn his MCL, PCL and meniscus.McGregor is slated to undergo surgery on the injuries this week.The Michigan Insider also noted that the injuries will prevent him from playing in the Under Armour All-American Bowl, the Polynesian Bowl and the Hall of Fame World Bowl. But he reportedly will still enroll early at Michigan this coming winter. Four-star DE and Michigan commit Braiden McGregor done for the rest of his senior season:https://t.co/ZWT2m2uwiK pic.twitter.com/k16JlJk4qZ— 247Sports (@247Sports) October 14, 2019McGregor is the No. 106 overall prospect in the country, according to 247Sports Composite Rankings. He is the No. 4 strong-side defensive end in the nation, and the No. 2 prospect from the state of Michigan.In his junior year, McGregor exploded onto the scene with an eye-popping 99 tackles, 13 tackles for loss, eight sacks, two forced fumbles and two picks.He followed up the season by committing to the Wolverines in May.“I’m staying home, I’m a wolverine” pic.twitter.com/gPpNYusH1e— Braiden McGregor (@BraidenMcgregor) May 25, 2019Hopefully the surgery goes well and he’ll be able to begin his college career with no setbacks.last_img read more

No contact between Messi & Beckham’s Inter Miami

first_imgDavid Beckham’s Inter Miami franchise have not held talks with Lionel Messi, sources have told Goal, with recent reports claiming that the former England international had sent a delegation to London to open negotiations for the Barcelona star’s signature.Reports in the United Kingdom claimed on Saturday that Beckham had sent sporting director Paul McDonough to the English capital for secret talks with the Argentine’s father and advisor, Jorge Messi, with a view to signing up the 32-year-old.It had been said that Beckham, whose Inter Miami franchise enter Major League Soccer next season, was also open to the option of ‘sharing’ Messi, similar to the agreement Beckham himself had with LA Galaxy during his loan spells with AC Milan. Article continues below Editors’ Picks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Messi a man for all Champions League seasons – but will this really be Barcelona’s? Are Chelsea this season’s Ajax? Super-subs Batshuayi & Pulisic show Blues can dare to dream The rumours, of course, began to circulate following news that the five-time Ballon d’Or winner has a clause in his Barcelona contract that allows him to leave at the end of any given season as long as he does not join a European rival side.The Catalan side have since moved to point out that several other high-calibre players, such as Andres Iniesta, had similar clauses written into their deals and never caused any issues within the squad. Messi, too, has stated his desire to continue winning trophies at Camp Nou.Now, having spoken to sources close to the player, Goal can confirm that no contact has been made between McDonough and Jorge Messi – indeed, no contact has been made with any of Messi’s extended entourage.One player who has been contacted, however, is Luis Suarez, who is also a well-known target for Inter Miami, though it is thought that talks are far from advanced as only an initial approach has been made.And while Messi is in fact on the wishlist of the powers that be in Florida, he remains fully focused on delivering silverware this term, with the summer additions of Antoine Griezmann and Frenkie de Jong sending out a statement of intent to fellow Champions League chasers.Messi had in the past said he would like to retire at his hometown club of Newell’s Old Boys, but recently pulled back on that statement due to unrest in Argentina.Should he decide MLS is more appealing, Miami is far closer to his South American home than Europe, while the addition of the record-breaking forward would immediately put Beckham’s new project – which is likely to have a large base of hispanic supporters – on the global map.last_img read more

Talks on global AIDS plan near completion in advance of UN special

Ambassador Penny Wensley of Australia and Ambassador Ibra Deguène Ka of Senegal said agreement remained elusive on certain key issues, including financing the plan of action, but both expressed hope that progress would be achieved before the expected conclusion of the talks on Saturday.Ambassador Wensley said the negotiations — which lasted for up to 12 hours a day since the preparatory session had begun on Monday — had brought delegates “pretty well close to final agreement” on key sections of the text, including those dealing with leadership, children infected and affected by AIDS, research and development, and alleviating the disease’s social and economic impact.More remained to be done on sections dealing with prevention and with conflict-affected regions, she said, adding that differences on those subjects were not political, “but the texts are complex — there’s a lot of ideas, a lot of proposals and we have to get them worked through.”Ambassador Wensley said sensitivities arose over sections in the text on groups perceived to be vulnerable to HIV infection, including men who have sex with men, sex workers and their clients, injecting drug users and prisoners. “We have to respect those views, and we have to find a way to accommodate them.”Political differences also persisted over sections concerning financing, HIV/AIDS and human rights, as well as care, support and treatment, she noted. “There is nothing insuperable; with good will and determination we hope very much that we will be able to find the necessary middle ground that is essential when you are trying to get agreement among 189 Member States.”Ambassador Ka agreed the challenge was to forge a common position among so many countries. “When 189 members are around this document, you can imagine all the sensitivities” that arise, he said. As an example of the need to accommodate all views, he noted that the preamble had originally been comprised of 21 paragraphs, but as a result of the negotiations had grown to include 35.The Senegalese Ambassador also stressed that negotiators had broadened the scope of the talks beyond just governments. “We didn’t forget that we had to write this history also with the NGOs [non-governmental organizations],” he said, noting that two dialogue sessions with had been organized to hear their views. read more