Newcastle United midfielder Sean Longstaff has confessed that he was “distracted” by talk of a potential transfer to Manchester United over the summer.The English ace was heavily linked with a £30 million ($37m) switch to Old Trafford while the transfer window was open, but a final deal never came to fruition.Longstaff burst onto the Premier League scene last season, impressing in nine appearances for Newcastle before being struck down with a knee ligament injury in March. Article continues below Editors’ Picks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Messi a man for all Champions League seasons – but will this really be Barcelona’s? Are Chelsea this season’s Ajax? Super-subs Batshuayi & Pulisic show Blues can dare to dream He showed enough promise to catch Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s eye in Manchester, with the Norwegian boss favouring a transfer policy of targeting young, homegrown talent.Longstaff ultimately ended up staying at St James’ Park, but he found it difficult to concentrate on his pre-season duties amid swirling rumours over his future.He has now revealed that Magpies teammate Matt Ritchie played a key role in helping him block out the ongoing speculation.“You can sometimes get distracted by the outside noise and maybe for a little bit in the summer I was a bit,” Longstaff told Newcastle’s official website.“It’s hard not to whenever you go anywhere you see your face on the front of a newspaper and you turn the telly on people are talking about you. And it’s not like they’re talking about little things, they’re talking about things that can change your life really.“The expectation is half what I’ve done and it’s probably a good thing. It does just go to show I did impress people when I got my chance last year. So for me, it’s about not listening to them and sticking to what I do. I speak to Matty Ritchie a lot, he’s someone I lean on in the squad. He tends to keep us grounded and he’s always there with good bits of advice.“Sometimes you can get distracted by figures that are thrown out there and you’re doing things you wouldn’t normally try to do. I think I spoke to him about it and he said the reason people are speaking about you is because of what you did and keep everything so simple and ticking along and you’ve got the other stuff there if you need it.”The talented young star claims he has not yet returned to the same level he reached last season, despite earning a regular place in Steve Bruce’s set up.“I’m not back to where I was last year but I’m getting closer and closer and I think it’s just about working hard and getting back to that level,” Longstaff said. “The outside noise is something I try not to listen to. It’s always going to be there now – there’ll be more eyes on me now.”Ahead of Newcastle’s trip to Anfield to face Liverpool on Saturday, Longstaff insisted he still needs to cut out moments of “sloppiness on the ball”, adding: “I’m only going to get back to that level with games and it’s going to take a bit of time. The kind of person I am, I want to be there straight away.“The manager has given us that reassurance it’s going to take a bit of time. I know there’s things I can do better but it’s all learning and I’m still young. I’m still enjoying it, I’m still going to keep working hard on the pitch.”
Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedAG examining Opposition demands for govt to resign, dissolve ParliamentJuly 27, 2019In “Local News”Ali clarifies Govt’s “one-sided” account of Granger/Jagdeo meetingAugust 9, 2019In “latest news”MPs will not return to National Assembly to extend caretaker Govt time in office – PPPAugust 4, 2019In “latest news” Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo today (August 8, 2019) reiterated that after September 18, 2019, the caretaker Coalition Government will not have any legitimacy.His comment comes on the heels of President David Granger refusing a request by the Opposition Leader to uphold the recent ruling of the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) and constitutional provisions.On Wednesday, the Head of State responded to a letter sent by Jagdeo over two weeks ago, requesting that he and his Cabinet uphold Article 106 of the Constitution and the CCJ’s ruling and subsequent consequential orders by resigning and calling elections.But President Granger said, in response, that he will not accede to the Opposition’s request.To this end, Jagdeo reiterated that constitutional rule will end on September 18, which will be three months since the CCJ ruled that the No-Confidence Motion was validly passed against the government, giving effect to Articles 106 (6) and (7).“Constitutional rule will cease on that day. We are in unchartered waters. The government will be a usurper in office and it cannot claim necessity if it’s self-imposed… We’re making it clear that after September 18, the government does not any legitimacy. In fact, constitutional rule ends at that date in Guyana,” he told pointed out to reporters at his weekly press conference.According to the Opposition Leader, the Trinidad-based regional court’s ruling was clear and is being understood by everyone except the caretaker Coalition Government.“Any sensible person reading the Constitution, [even] a child in school can tell you what it means. The language is clear as the CCJ said. It doesn’t need to buffer the language of the Constitution, it’s unambiguous. But [the President] has decided here to say ‘I’m not complying the Constitution,” Jagdeo stated.Articles 106 (6) and (7) of the Constitution says that the President and his Cabinet shall resign after the passage of a no confidence motion and call elections within three months.At a hearing last month, the CCJ said that the constitutional actors, including the President and the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM), have a responsibility to uphold the “unambiguous” provisions of the Guyana Constitution.